Checkmate

Last Night upon the stair,
I saw a man who wasn’t there.
He wasn’t there again today,
Oh! I wish to God he’d go away!


As a kid, there was plenty of innocence left for me to nurture. The big outside world with its people fighting to get a life was strangely fascinating. But little did I know, that more they grab of life, more are the pieces they lose of themselves. And with time I began to look at life a lot differently. My impressions were constantly molded by what I saw happen around me and in a way I grew from outside of it. Emotions made decisions, wants lost to practicality, and power redefined integrity.

My learning from all of this was a simple truth.


After a game, the king and the pawn are back inside the same box

9 comments:

prasanna venkatesh.b 2:12 AM  

Beautiful.
Strange, but I suspect the ornamental chess boxes originally used by Maharajas may have been different!! (kidding!)

Aswinkumar 10:01 PM  

"After a game, the king and the pawn are back inside the same box"
a powerful meaning compressed into a simple statement...amazing!!!
y isn't ur Mouna Mozhigal updated?

N 10:08 PM  

@ PV!

LOL!!! :D

@ ashwin :

:):)
jus dint happen!! fools me!

Vekram 2:40 AM  

I'm not much of an 'intense prose' guy but the personification of innocence, life and death was awesome. [That's what you did, right? :(] I'm not much of a poem guy either but I loved the poem. :D

N 3:00 AM  

@ Vekram:

hey! personification of innocence, life and death - yes. and the poem aint mine. its by ogden nash. it seems to give me new meaning everytime i read it.

ABSOLUTELY love those lines. there is more to it actually, u can google it up - am sure u ll like it!

Moonshine 4:55 AM  

ogden nash...remember the guy from all those visits to the dentist's den..lol!!
'After a game, the king and the pawn are back inside the same box'
is that a parallel to 'going back to square one'?!

The Random 6:20 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown 8:37 AM  

Probably you should hear this..
David Bowie's - The Man who Sold the World(covered by Nirvana)

We passed upon the stair
We spoke of was and when
Although I wasn't there
He said I was his friend
Which came as some surprise
I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone
a long long time ago

Oh no, not me
I never lost control
You're face to face
With The Man Who Sold The World

N 7:32 PM  

one of the songs thats perennially looping on my winamp! ;)

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence" - Ansel Adams

In this space you will find images and words. It is upto you to weave 'em together and see what I see.